[Tweeters] Discovery Park (Seattle, WA) 2013 year highlights

Evan Houston evanghouston at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 2 16:49:28 PST 2014

Hi Tweeters,

Since Discovery Park had by far its best
year of coverage by eBirders in 2013 (496 checklists entered!), I thought I
would give a summary of some of the highlights based on this data.  The increasing number of birders posting
their sightings on eBird has, in my opinion, created a sense of community, and
that can be seen well in a local “patch” such as Discovery Park.

A total of at least 189 species were recorded in 2013 at the park by
eBirders (and I’m sure additional ones by non-eBirders).  You can see a graph of the species here:  http://tinyurl.com/ncwcllr

My subjective list of the top 10 “best” (i.e. least-expected
and/or “coolest”) birds seen by eBirders in the park, in no particular order,
is:
Lark Sparrow
Black-billed Magpie
Black Phoebe
Palm Warbler
Northern Mockingbird
Swamp Sparrow
Pine Grosbeak
Franklin’s Gull
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Western Bluebird

The top 10 most frequently recorded birds were, in order:
Song Sparrow (86% of checklists), American Robin,
Black-capped Chickadee, Spotted Towhee, Northern Flicker, Anna’s Hummingbird,
American Crow, Bewick’s Wren, Dark-eyed Junco, and Glaucous-winged Gull (62% of
checklists).

My personal top 5 favorite birds seen at the park in 2013
included: Lapland Longspur, Black-billed Magpie, Great-horned Owl, Northern
Mockingbird, and Ancient Murrelet.

The highest number of bird species recorded by any single eBirder
is over 170 species, by Jordan Gunn!

Good birding,
Evan Houston
Seattle, WA