[Tweeters] Re: 2014 first ten (predictions)

Christine Southwick clsouth at u.washington.edu
Thu Jan 2 07:53:59 PST 2014

Okay, so I decided to do my first 10 birds too. Since I drove up to Deception Pass from Shoreline, starting at about 0815, the last three were ones I don't usually see as first-of-year birds.

1. American Robin (AMRO)
2. American Crow (AMCR)
3. Spottted Towhee (SPTO)
4. Black-capped Chickadee (BCCH)
5. Bewick's Wren (BEWR)
6. Anna's Hummingbird (ANHU)
7. Chestnut-backed Chickadee (CBCH)
8. Glaoucous-winged Gull (GLGU)
9. Rock Pigeon (ROPI)
10.Red-tailed Hawk (RTHA) saw at least 15, plus one Rough-legged Hawk during the drive up to and back.

Also saw a number of Great Blue Herons, but NO Bald Eagles.

Cranberry Lake, at Bowman Bay was filled with Common Merganser and a few Hooded Merganser. No Black Oystercatchers on the West Beach. No Loons floating through Deception Pass proper.

Glorious, awe-inspiring views of snow-touched jagged mountains, above the low-lying fog banks. Good food at a restaurant in Mount Vernon, with my partner and a good friend, plus a little retail therapy (while wearing my binoculars for bird-watcher advertisement).

Great way to start the New Year.

May all you birds be identified, and healthy!

Christine Southwick
N Seattle/Shoreline
clsouthwick at q.com