[Tweeters] Soaring Birds Amid High Tides

Vincent Lucas vincentlucas5 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 11:16:54 PST 2014

On the front page of the Peninsula Daily News, there’s a photo of two Swiss
birders consulting a field guide as they’re looking at birds at Ediz Hook
in Port Angeles. The photo was taken yesterday. This morning, while out
birding one of my “patch” sites, Marlyn Nelson County Park in Sequim, I saw
a couple of birders looking through bins at a small bird in the top of a
Douglas Fir. The birders looked familiar and then I deduced that they were
the two Swiss birders in the photo. Sure enough, they were. They did not
know about their photo in the paper but vowed to buy up every remaining
copy of the Peninsula Daily News to take back to Switzerland to show their
family and friends. I pointed out that the PDN is online and showed them
their photo from the website on my iPhone. They were delighted. What fun.
This week, we are experiencing “King Tides” here along the Strait of Juan
de Fuca. Flooding may occur along 3 Crabs Rd. and other places so birders
ought to be aware of the situation.

Happy New Year and Good Birding!

--
Vincent Lucas