[Tweeters] Wahkiakum CBC

Andrew Emlen aemlen at centurytel.net
Wed Dec 31 10:34:37 PST 2014

Yesterday, December 30, was the Wahkiakum Christmas Bird Count. The count circle straddles the lower Columbia River, including Puget Island, Cathlamet, Skamokawa, and the Julia Butler Hansen National Wildlife Refuge in Washington and Westport, Nicolai Mountain, Brownsmead, Knappa and the Lewis & Clark National Wildlife Refuge in Oregon. The day dawned clear and 28 degrees F, with a light east wind. Twenty-five volunteers found 120 species plus two additional count week species, equaling our highest previous total. New to the count was a Barrow’s Goldeneye found by Mike Passmore on the Wahkiakum ferry trip to Westport. A Redhead was in Net Rack Slough. The Northern Mockingbird that was at 80 North Welcome Slough on Puget Island on last year’s count spent the entire year there and was seen on this one as well. Other species that have been expanding their range northward, Black Phoebe and Red-shouldered Hawk, continue to remain established here. Seven Trumpeter Swans flew over the Julia Butler Hansen Refuge. At Whites Island, our local breeding area for the endangered “Streaked” Horned Lark, we set a new high count for Horned Lark at 45. We missed Virginia Rail for the first time in the Wahkiakum CBC’s seventeen years. The Snowy Egret reported on Sunday was not relocated. For the third year running, the most abundant bird in the count circle was Cackling Goose, with approximately 13,000 of them found yesterday. Thanks to all volunteers!

Andrew Emlen, compiler