[Tweeters] Cassin's Auklet wreck

Rachel Lawson rwlawson at q.com
Fri Dec 26 22:44:41 PST 2014

After I wrote today about finding two dead Cassin's Auklets near Kalaloch, Dianna Moore told me that dead Cassin's Auklets are turning up in fair numbers up and down the Washington coast. A quick Google search revealed that this auklet wreck has been noted in Oregon since October, and that it extends all the way into California. Ironically, the wreck may be due, at least in part, on better than average nesting success on Vancouver Island, resulting in large numbers of inept juveniles getting into trouble. I'm hoping to find out more.

How common are one-species wrecks like this?

Rachel Lawson
Seattle
rwlawson at q.com