[Tweeters] NIsqually NWR 12/24/14

scrubjay323 at aol.com scrubjay323 at aol.com
Thu Dec 25 08:35:00 PST 2014

Tweets,

Yesterday 18 of us enjoyed a nice day at Nisqually. It was cool, but not breezy and it stayed dry. We had a 6.6 low tide at 1:29 so water was dropping fast in the reclamation area.

I guess the highlight was the lone SNOW GOOSE with the 8 GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE that flew onto the refuge about 10:45 or so and landed inside the new dike for all to see. The other highlight was a the number of BALD EAGLES. Upwards of 40 were seen. Needless to say they were everywhere!

We could not relocate the 2 SWAMP SPARROWS from last week and Also missed on the NORTHERN SHRIKE.

Besides the BALD EAGLES we also saw a couple of PEREGRINE FALCONS, RED-TAILED HAWKS, and NORTHERN HARRIERS.

The interior ponds are full so waterfowl were abundant but scattered. It appears the number of AMERICAN WIGEON are down and thus we aren't seeing EURASIAN WIGEON as we usually do .

Passerine numbers were low be we did get good views of DOWNEY WOODPECKERS and BROWN CREEPERS. Maybe next week will be different.

For the day I had 46 species and still have 147 for the year. The only mammal I saw was a HARBOR SEAL in the Nisqually River.

Until next week.....Merry Christmas to all.

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at aol.com
Lacey, WA