[Tweeters] White-breasted Nuthatch still present at JBLM, Thurston Co.

Gary Wiles wilesharkey at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 22 15:31:36 PST 2014

Tweeters,
Today from about 11:30 am to 1 pm, I visited the Weir Prairie location where the Acorn Woodpeckers and White-breasted Nuthatch have been reported over the past 3-4 weeks.  I relocated the nuthatch as I was departing.  It was near the bottom of the steep hillside and about 100 yds south of the road leading up the hill, where it previously had been recorded.  The bird was loosely associated with a mixed flock of juncos, Steller's jays, a Red-breasted Nuthatch, and a Downy Woodpecker in douglas-fir/oak forest.  I spent about an hour with Whittier Johnson, Deb Nickerson, and Shelly Horn in the oak woodland on top of the hillside, but we had no luck finding the Acorn Woodpeckers.
Gary WilesOlympia, WAwilesharkey at yahoo.com