[Tweeters] Flammulated Owl - Yakima County

rohan kamath rohankamath88 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 19:20:06 PST 2014

We were out in Eastern Washington looking for raptors and owls today.
We had a fairly average day in terms of raptors. all the usual stuff but
nothing out of the ordinary.

The interesting highlight of the day was a HEARD Flammulated Owl.
At the intersection of Audubon road and N. Wenas Road, we heard the owl
calling distinctly 6-7 times in a span of 30 minutes at around noon. Tried
very hard to locate it but couldn't get a visual on it. Very unusual to
hear them at this time of the year I guess.

We also heard a Saw-whet in the Liberty area on Pine Gulch road but didn't
see it either. Thanks Carol Riddell for the pointers.

p.s. The entire liberty area has a lot of snow so be careful driving
through the smaller by-roads. Make sure you have AWD/4WD and snow chains.
We managed to get across Lion Gulch after a lot of slipping and skidding
but I don't think I'll do that again; too risky.

-Regards,
Rohan Kamath
Software Development Engineer
Amazon.com, Seattle, WA.