[Tweeters] Vashon Four Loon, 5 Grebe Species day

Ed Swan edswan at centurytel.net
Wed Dec 17 16:58:38 PST 2014

For the Seattle Audubon Society field trip to Vashon today, we had
Yellow-billed Loon and Common Loon in Tramp Harbor as well as Horned, Eared
and Red-necked Grebe.

In outer Quartermaster Harbor there was a nice flock of Red-throated Loons
and a few Pacific Loons mixed in with a flock of Western Grebes.

We picked up our fifth grebe, Pied-billed, at Fisher Pond where there were
also about a dozen Wilson's Snipe feeding in the mud.

All three cormorant species sat posed next to each other on the pilings next
to the Vashon dock and also on a small square dock in outer Quartermaster
Harbor.

We dipped on the Virginia Rails at Monument Road, there was too much road
noise from re-directed traffic from Tramp Harbor. Otherwise they're usually
pretty cooperative even at mid-day.

Ed Swan

Nature writer and guide

Check out the new second edition of The Birds of Vashon Island at:

www.theswancompany.com <http://www.theswancompany.com>

edswan at centurytel.net <mailto:edswan at centurytel.net>

206.463.7976