[Tweeters] Walla Walla CBC results

Mike & MerryLynn m.denny at charter.net
Mon Dec 15 20:47:22 PST 2014

Hello all,
Thanks to the 40 counters and 6 feeder watchers we had a great count
this year despite the usual fog which covered even the foothills - just
giving us tantalizing views of the sun thru the fog.
85 species were found which includes Western Meadowlark - the only count
week bird so far - -
Three NEW species to our count - this is our 41st count here:
VIRGINIA RAIL - I played Screech Owl before dawn at Big 5 and 3 rails
started calling very loudly!
GREAT EGRET - along Mill Creek
BARRED OWLS - 1 bird found in the afternoon, TWO birds photographed
after dark.
High numbers:
WOOD DUCK - 101 - previous high 24
GREAT HORNED OWL - 22, 16
DOWNY WOODPECKER - 46, 44
BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE - 258, 252
SPOTTED TOWHEE - 21, 18
Also found:
SNOW GOOSE - 3rd time
SAY'S PHOEBE - only the 2nd time - last one in 1984 - although last
year one was seen the day before count week!
BLUE JAY - 6th time on the count
AMERICAN TREE SPARROW - also 6th time
LESSER GOLDFINCH - 2nd time on the count
Common Redpolls - 29 up Mormon Grade
Pine Grosbeaks - 3 "
Only 1 Red Crossbill
White-throated Sparrows - 3
Fox Sparrow - 3
The only Norther Saw-whet Owl found on the count was a roadkill - so sad!
No real misses - coot, gw teal - don't see them every year.
THANKS MUCH to all the participants
Later, M&ML