[Tweeters] Pine Grosbeak at arboretum in Seattle

Kathy Hartman kathartman at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 13 13:26:34 PST 2014

I was standing in the arboretum watching several Varied Thrushes when I noticed something that was definitely not a Varied Thrush. I couldn't believe my eyes at first, but I'm pretty positive it was a Pine Grosbeak, either a female or immature. I checked with two other very experienced birders, and they agree.  I saw this bird at about 11:30 this morning.
Here are some pictures.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/83633464@N00/15394282083/in/photostream/

Location: If you look at this map of the arboretum (link below), it was between the areas called Legumes and Mountain Ashes, right along the fence by the Broadmoor golf course. I watched it eat berries for about 15 minutes before it flew a little ways over the fence into the golf course. There are a lot of berries on the trees right now, so there are many Varied Thrushes around as well.

http://depts.washington.edu/uwbg/gardens/wpa/collections.php

If you'd like more information, please let me know.
Thanks,
Kathy HartmanSeattle, WA