[Tweeters] Digiscoping product tryout

mcharest at wamail.net mcharest at wamail.net
Sun Dec 7 15:33:59 PST 2014

Today I received A digiscoping/Smart phone to scope or binocular adapter
that I stumbled across on the internet. I want to use it for video or ID
shots of those birds that are just too far off for my camera.

I have nothing to do with the company but I thought I would share my
initial thoughts on this product because I have tried other similar
devices with limited success. I have seen other people using similar
products and even saw someone on a pelagic trip who had fashioned their
own binocular adapter.

The Snap zoom adapter clamps to your smart phone and has jaws that attach
to a scope or binoculars. I was disappointed to find the the eyepiece on
my Swarovski scope was too big and just beyond the limits of the Snap
zoom. I should have read the dimensions on their website more carefully. I
was able to attach it to my scope with the eye cup unscrewed and removed
which is kinda lame but it worked. You have to zoom a bit to crop out the
vignetting which reduces the video quality or you could crop it out in
editing software and retain vid quality.

Before the football game I ran down to the river to try it out on some
gulls and was fairly pleased with the video. It is not the perfect product
but I thought it worked pretty good (better than anything I have tried)
even though it didn't fit my scope without removing the eye cup. Scopes
with smaller eyepieces and binoculars on a tripod would work much better.

A couple of quick sample videos are on my flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikecharest/

I am not sure if I am going to keep the thing, I will have to play around
with it a little more.

Have a great day,

Michael Charest
Tacoma, Washington