[Tweeters] Fremont Saw-whet!

Nathaniel Peters ncpeters at uw.edu
Wed Dec 3 09:45:02 PST 2014

Hey Tweets,

Last night, at about 8:15PM, while biking home to Ballard from UW on the
Burke Gilman trail, I got fantastic looks at a beautiful Saw-whet Owl!

I had just passed under the Aurora bridge, and was biking past the Allen
Institute for Brain Science, when I spot-lighted a small flying shape in
front of my bike. I followed it down the line of tall, deciduous
(presently bare) trees between the water and the Burke, and it perched in
one of the last trees in the line, near Theo's Chocolate Factory. It
stayed in third to last tree, perched about 20ft high, while I got
fantastic illuminated looks for about 5 minutes, and shared my find with
another biker who passed me on the trail. The bold brown streaking on the
breast and the white facial pattern were unmistakable, and I was just
thrilled! I don't think I've seen a Saw-whet that well since my dad took
me to Alaska in '96 and I got to band them with Bob Dittrick!

There are few things in life better than stumbling upon an owl when you're
not looking for it......

Nathaniel Peters
Seattle, WA
ncpeters at uw.edu