[Tweeters] Active Sapsucker (Red-Breasted)

Barbara Deihl barbdeihl at comcast.net
Tue Dec 2 09:59:16 PST 2014

Hi Tweets,

Currently and daily, a RBSA is working on and in sapwells it's creating on 2 trunks of a Scot's pine tree just off my driveway (just north of Matthews Beach) - views can be good for photography despite many branches that can get in the way. I will post a few of mine from this morning, but later, as I wish to try for more and better ones now. There was one here in January and there are starting to be a lot of sapwells encircling these trunks.

Feel free to contact me off-list if you'd like to stop by sometime to see it and/or try for photos. It has also appeared on this tree in the afternoons - yesterday I noticed it at around 3 p.m. It may be there earlier in the mornings, but I haven't been out looking then ! I noticed this morning it started out on the side of a trunk that had sunlight on it, but then moved around to more shaded spots - I could actually watch it spend time (I assumed drinking) at one well - a 'cool' find and fun experience !

With this guy tap, tap tapping away, the Varied Thrushes occasionally singing and whooshes of Pine Siskins coming through the yard, it's a beautiful morning :-)

Barb Deihl
barbdeihl at comcast.net