[Tweeters] Everett-Marysville CBC January 1st--seeking birders

Scott scottratkinson at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 1 05:39:12 PST 2014

To all:

Just wanted to advise that we are seeking experienced trip leaders for the Everett-Marysville CBC Jan. 1. We have new map data and a great participation--last year we had 72 field observers and 17 more at feeders/private properties, an all-time high. Our count concludes with a traditional potluck-tally in Snohomish with the Waits hosting, an event not to be missed.

Presently Area 3 (Island Crossing east of I-5 and north of 172nd in Arlington) is without an area leader. This includes Arlington airport and the highly productive Portage Creek WMA. There was a SWAMP SPARROW after the count here last year, and the Portage Creek WMA has a number of times provided the sole AM. BITTERN and ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK for the CBC, or one of the only 2 or so. The flats south of south and near Island Crossing can be excellent for a range of open-country species, including swans, geese, gulls, and raptors. Folks with the ability to detect LINCOLN'S SPARROW and MARSH WREN (especially numerous at Portage Creek) by ear preferred.

Area 2 (Island Crossing west) also needs an area lead. This area is bordered also by 172nd and I-5. The flats along 7th Street SE (not far from I-5) include some good raptor habitat, and a RUSTY BLACKBIRD was in the vast blackbird hordes often here several years ago, while a YELLOW-HEADED was also reported historically. In our (best) deep-freeze year, a WHIMBREL joined the WILSON'S SNIPE
at a frozen pond near the Stilly River going towards Arlington. This area also includes in the west very extensive forested habitat.

Area 7A (Tulalip inland) is a brand-new territory created last year to capture peripheral areas in the remote parts of the Tulalip Reservation, as well as border/brushy areas closer to I-5. We have excellent maps and open gates to get in, and it is too early to provide a lot of info, but this area has turned in RUFFED GROUSE (very hard anywhere else), with the potential for other foothill species like N. PYGMY-OWL and GRAY JAY judging from habitat. Tremendous potential here, plus a couple god lakes.

Area 10 (n. Ebey Island and adjacent areas to the east into w. Lake Stevens) also needs a lead.

In addition to these, and especially if you live in the general area up here, please advise if you would like to participate, we can find you a spot.

Scott Atkinson, Compiler
Everett-Marysville CBC
Lake Stevens, WA