[Tweeters] Yard Red-necked Phalarope, Diamond Point Tufted Puffin and Bald Eagle Plucks Murrelett

John Gatchet jfgatchet at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 21:16:06 PDT 2014

This morning I scoped calm waters on Discovery Bay from my yard and counted
29 RED-NECKED PHALAROPE. In the evening I saw two RED-NECKED PHALAROPE at
the Panorama Vista County Park that can be accessed from East Sequim Bay
Road. A lone PACIFIC LOON flew by the park.

Later this evening at Diamond Point there was a lone TUFTED PUFFIN and a
COMMON LOON. As I searched in vain for Red-necked Phalarope I spotted a
single MARBLED MURRELETT a species not common this time of year there. As
I watched the bird through my scope a BALD EAGLE plucked it off the surface
of the water. I thought to myself of all the birds to take why this little
one. The Eagle flew to a docking post, plucked the bird and ate it.

John F. Gatchet
Gardiner, WA