[Tweeters] eBird Report - Lake Hills Greenbelt, Aug 22, 2014

Sharon Cormier-Aagaard scormieraa001 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 25 16:25:06 PDT 2014

Hi Tweets,

A few days ago, Hugh Jennings and I had an exceptional morning of birding the Lake Hills Greenbelt. We found ourselves walking amidst a couple of large migratory, mixed flocks. It was just an amazing flurry of feeding activity into and out of the blueberry bushes and into and out of the nearby taller trees. At one spot, we stood and watched with joy 15 different species: flycatchers, warblers, vireos, finches, waxwings, woodpeckers, Anna's, wren, thrushes, kinglet, sparrow, tanager, grosbeak, cowbird and goldfinch! What an experience. Here's our eBird report:

Lake Hills Greenbelt, King, US-WA
Aug 22, 2014 7:34 AM - 10:04 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments: Sharon and Hugh. Sunny to partly sunny, 58-68F, calm to 4 mph. Birds listed on the way from Larson Lake area to Phantom Lake, and not on the return, unless a new species. Submitted from BirdLog NA for Android v1.9.6
46 species (+2 other taxa)

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 17
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) 23
Northern Shoveler (Anas clypeata) 8
Pied-billed Grebe (Podilymbus podiceps) 1
Red-tailed Hawk (Western) (Buteo jamaicensis calurus/alascensis) 1
Virginia Rail (Rallus limicola) 1
gull sp. (Larinae sp.) 1
Vaux's Swift (Chaetura vauxi) 2
Anna's Hummingbird (Calypte anna) 6
Red-breasted Sapsucker (Sphyrapicus ruber) 1
Hairy Woodpecker (Picoides villosus) 1
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus) 2
Northern Flicker (Red-shafted) (Colaptes auratus [cafer Group]) 7
Pileated Woodpecker (Dryocopus pileatus) 1
Olive-sided Flycatcher (Contopus cooperi) 1
Willow Flycatcher (Empidonax traillii) 1
Pacific-slope Flycatcher (Empidonax difficilis) 1
Hutton's Vireo (Vireo huttoni) 1
Warbling Vireo (Western) (Vireo gilvus [swainsoni Group]) 3
Steller's Jay (Cyanocitta stelleri) 5
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 7
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) 6 active nest!! 2 young being fed by 2 adults
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) 28
Chestnut-backed Chickadee (Poecile rufescens) 17
Red-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta canadensis) 3
Brown Creeper (Certhia americana) 2
Bewick's Wren (Thryomanes bewickii) 10
Golden-crowned Kinglet (Regulus satrapa) 10
Swainson's Thrush (Catharus ustulatus) 3
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 2
Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum) 70
Orange-crowned Warbler (Oreothlypis celata) 7
Common Yellowthroat (Geothlypis trichas) 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Setophaga coronata) 1
Black-throated Gray Warbler (Setophaga nigrescens) 2
Wilson's Warbler (Cardellina pusilla) 1
Spotted Towhee (Pacific) (Pipilo maculatus [oregonus Group]) 5
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 6
Lincoln's Sparrow (Melospiza lincolnii) 1
White-crowned Sparrow (Puget Sound) (Zonotrichia leucophrys pugetensis) 3
Western Tanager (Piranga ludoviciana) 6 f
Black-headed Grosbeak (Pheucticus melanocephalus) 7
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) 1
Brown-headed Cowbird (Molothrus ater) 2
House Finch (Haemorhous mexicanus) 24
Purple Finch (Western) (Haemorhous purpureus californicus) 21
Red Crossbill (Loxia curvirostra) 1
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) 26

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S19541010