[Tweeters] Tahoma Audubon weekend field trip to Westport and Ocean Shores

Art Wang artnancy at harbornet.com
Sun Aug 24 22:58:07 PDT 2014

Nineteen birders participated in Tahoma Audubon's weekend field trip to
Westport and Ocean Shores. On the Westport Seabirds pelagic trip on
Saturday, calm seas and fog produced the usual suspects (Black-footed
Albatross, Sooty, Pink-footed and Buller's Shearwater, Northern Fulmar,
Fork-tailed Storm-Petrel, Cassin's and Rhino Auklets, 1 Long-tailed and 2
Parasitic Jaegers and 1 South Polar Skua) although in slightly lower numbers
than usual. We had exceptionally good views of Red Phalaropes. After the
boat trip, we checked Bottle Beach, North Cove, Graveyard Spit, and Tokeland
Marina, but no Elegant Terns or unusual shorebirds.

The fog continued Sunday morning, so it was hard to find much on the ocean
beaches. At the Oyhut Game Range, we had great looks at a Stilt Sandpiper
and not so great looks at 3 fly-by Pacific Golden Plovers. It was a
convergence zone for Audubon groups, since both Portland and Grays Harbor
joined us there. We ended the day at the Hoquiam sewage ponds, where there
were 2 Pectoral Sandpipers in the ponds and great views of 3 Baird's
Sandpipers on the shore.

Including some birds seen Friday afternoon while scouting, we ended up with
21 species of shorebirds.

Art Wang

Tacoma