[Tweeters] Ridgefield NWR - Stilt Sand, Baird's, Semipalmated, Pectoral Sandpipers

Jim Danzenbaker jdanzenbaker at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 11:01:09 PDT 2014

Hi Tweeters and OBOL,

Rest Lake at Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge, Clark County, Washington
was really active this morning from at least 7am through about 9:45am with
the following shorebirds:

Killdeer: 12
Semipalmated Plover: 17 (this may be my personal high count over 9 years of
birding Ridgefield)
Greater Yellowlegs: 5
Lesser Yellowlegs: 8
STILT SANDPIPER: 1 (only my second at Ridgefield over 9 years. First found
by Ryan Abe)
PECTORAL SANDPIPER: 3
Long-billed Dowitcher: 16 (thanks Ryan Abe)
Wilson's Snipe: 1
Least Sandpiper: 60
Western Sandpiper: 125
SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER: 4
BAIRD'S SANDPIPER: 1

The lake is rapidly drying so I hope that there's still enough water to
attract shorebirds on September 6th (WOS field trip and International
Shorebird Day).

Keep your eyes and ears skyward.

Jim
--