[Tweeters] mistake in a bird book

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 23 15:53:32 PDT 2014

Dear Tweeters,

I think there is a mistake on page 382 of the book "Breeding Birds of Washington State: Location Data and Predicted Distributions, by Smith, Mattocks, and Cassidy, 1997. I believe the "Comment" paragraph has the subspecies information switched around. Online information, and other books, such as Jewett (1953) and Opperman (2003) all state that the subspecies in most of Eastern Washington is swainsoni, and that the one in the west is ustulatus, but this book appears to have it backwards.

Yours truly,

Gary Bletsch