[Tweeters] White-winged crossbill at Mt. Rainier

KEN valvb1 at comcast.net
Sat Aug 23 13:27:20 PDT 2014

Yesterday (Friday, August 22), while walking along the Mazama Ridge trail above Paradise at Mt. Rainier National Park, a female white-winged crossbill flew into an alpine fir about 50 feet in front of me, giving me excellent views.  The bold white wing patches were stunning.  I saw no other crossbills, nor did I hear any.  This was between the trail crossings with the Lakes Trail and the Golden Gate trail.  Close to the crossing with the Golden Gate trail I also saw a Cassin's finch.  Other birds along the trail included gray jays, numerous juncos, one raven, and a soaring red-tailed hawk.

Ken Brunner
Kent, Washington