[Tweeters] Merlin and Crow Interaction and Chase

John Gatchet jfgatchet at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 12:54:44 PDT 2014

This morning crows were diving on a bird I could not see that was hidden in
a Douglas Fir. As I was watching them swoop and dive suddenly a crow was
binging chased by a MERLIN. The MERLIN went after several crows and then
perched in a Douglas Fir where I could see the beautiful adult female.

A crow came near the tree it was in and it once again gave chase and hit or
just skimmed the crows back. The crow crashed into a tree, but quickly
regained composure and flew off. The MERLIN basically chased the crows
away by going after at least three of them. It was quite a show of speed,
maneuverability and attitude on the part of this female MERLIN.

John F. Gatchet
Gardiner, WA