[Tweeters] another border discrepancy in eBird

Mike Patterson celata at pacifier.com
Wed Aug 20 07:28:35 PDT 2014

I will preface this by saying that, ultimately it is geo-marker
reference (lat-long) that is important in tracking bio-geography
of birds and geo-political boundaries are a human construct that
birds don't care about. As near as I can tell, there are no errors
in the geo-markers on eBird.

However, there are many geo-political boundary discrepancies that
may matter to the ardent county lister using ebird and I came across
another today. The Pacific/Wahkiakum border is off by more than
a kilometer in discord with Google Maps, DeLorme and USGS. Many of
you who claim American White Pelican on their Pacific County list
may be in error, just as those who claim pelicans on the south
side of Rice Island on your Wahkiakum County list are actually seeing
them in Clatsop County, Oregon.

Apparently, the algorithm that computes boundaries for eBird can
be fuzzy around the edges when confronted with the vagaries of US
jurisdictional law. Humans don't always make the logical, algorithic
decision when draw boundaries...

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR