[Tweeters] Re: Sense of Scale

Jason Hernandez jason.hernandez74 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 17 19:22:17 PDT 2014

When i go fish watching, there is usually a mask and snorkel involved -- not that I necessarily go swimming; sometimes, just lying belly-down on the gravel of a shallow stream, just deep enough to submerge my head in that position, can give me a fish's-eye view of the world.  And in places like Square Lake, covered with water shield, I actually refer to it in my field notes as "the underwater forest," and describe the "canopy," "mid-level," and "understory."  It really does look like a jungle!

Bringing this back to birds: shifting scales like this can give you a whole new level of understanding of them.  Imagine yourself the size of a Bewick's Wren, investigating tree cavities for a suitable nest site; what would you look for?  And if a sudden rain catches you out foraging, imagine how much simpler it would be to find a dry spot at Bewick's Wren size than human size!  Or how terrifyingly huge a Merlin would be!

Jason Hernandez
Bremerton
jason.hernandez at yahoo dot com

Message: 12