[Tweeters] abundant woodpeckers in burn on Wenatchee NF

Lorenz, Teresa (lore5748 at vandals.uidaho.edu) lore5748 at vandals.uidaho.edu
Sun Aug 17 16:59:26 PDT 2014

Dear Tweeters,

A large number of woodpeckers have concentrated in a recent prescribed burn on the Wenatchee National Forest. I do research on woodpeckers and see many amazing sights, but never anything quite equal to this. Within the span of about 5 minutes, one can see/hear 15+ black-backed woodpeckers. I would not be surprised if there are 50 or more black-backs in this burn and they are highly conspicuous as they drum, fight, and call. In the short span of about 15 minutes, we also observed 3 white-headed woodpeckers (one of whom is radio-tagged and the reason we encountered this burn), 5 Williamson's sapsuckers, and super-abundant hairy woodpeckers.

The location is in Rattlesnake Creek, on the Wenatchee National Forest, Naches Ranger District, and on Forest Service Road 1503. I posted the location on ebird. If you are GPS-savvy I can give coordinates for this area. For those who enjoy woodpeckers, it is quite a treat to see so many during the non-breeding season.

Teresa

Teresa Lorenz

Rimrock, WA

lore5748 at vandals.uidaho.edu<mailto:lore5748 at vandals.uidaho.edu>