[Tweeters] eBird Report - Lake Sammamish State Park, Aug 13, 2014

Sharon Cormier-Aagaard scormieraa001 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 14 13:30:51 PDT 2014

Hi Tweets,

Here's my monthly report for those of you who like to follow the birds being seen/heard at LSSP:

Lake Sammamish State Park, King, US-WA
Aug 13, 2014 8:00 AM - 11:50 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.5 mile(s)
Comments: Sharon Aagaard and Stan Wood birded with 7 others at Eastside Audubon's monthly bird walk at Lake Sammamish State Park on August 13, 2014, from 8:00 am to 11:50 am. The morning began with completely low, cloudy, wet skies, with temps in the low 60F, and 3-5 mph winds. Weather towards the end of our walk was mostly cloudy skies with sun breaks, 67F, with calm winds remaining. HIGHLIGHTS: Some of us watched a GREAT BLUE HERON be a fish thief on the point....the bird walked over, stuck its bill in a fisherman's bag, snatched a fish and gulped it down as it walked away, seemingly unnoticed by the fisherman; a juvenile SHARP-SHINNED HAWK first attempted to grab a MALLARD, then went for a SPOTTED SANDPIPER (without spots) in the water; several LEAST SANDPIPERS were feeding at the edge of the west beach; RING-BILLED and CALIFORNIA GULLS are back and were lounging at the east beach; 2 BLACK SWIFTS flew over the parking lot early in our walk; several VAUX'S SWIFTS were seen later on; enjoyed watching a male and female PILIATED WOODPECKER pair plucking & eating white dogwood berries near the boardwalk along Issaquah Creek; a couple hundred or more SWALLOWS filled the skies everywhere we walked; heard first then saw several groups of RED CROSSBILLS at different times during our walk. 48 species for the day; and 126 species for the year. The next bird walk is SEP 24. No pre-registration, just show up depending on your mood or the weather. Since this is a state park, a Discover Pass is necessary to park ($10 daily, $30 annual). We meet in the large parking lot to the left just inside the main park entrance, now signed as the Costco Parking lo,t but we meet at the far end towards the lake (not the boat launch entrance). Submitted from BirdLog NA for Android v1.9
48 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 50
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) 48
Hooded Merganser (Lophodytes cucullatus) 1 f
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) 2 fish theif on the point....GBH walked over, stuck bill in fisherman's bag, snatched a fish and gulped it down as it walked away
Osprey (Pandion haliaetus) 3
Sharp-shinned Hawk (Accipiter striatus) 1 juv
Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii) 1
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) 1
Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus) 11
Spotted Sandpiper (Actitis macularius) 1 no spots
Least Sandpiper (Calidris minutilla) 6 edge of west beach
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis) 8
California Gull (Larus californicus) 6
gull sp. (Larinae sp.) 12
Band-tailed Pigeon (Patagioenas fasciata) 3
Black Swift (Cypseloides niger) 2
Vaux's Swift (Chaetura vauxi) 6
Anna's Hummingbird (Calypte anna) 1
Belted Kingfisher (Megaceryle alcyon) 1 1 m
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus) 1
Pileated Woodpecker (Dryocopus pileatus) 2 Male and female eating red twig dogwood berries next to boardwalk
Western Wood-Pewee (Contopus sordidulus) 2
Willow Flycatcher (Empidonax traillii) 2
Steller's Jay (Cyanocitta stelleri) 1
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 22
Tree Swallow (Tachycineta bicolor) 50
Violet-green Swallow (Tachycineta thalassina) 60
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) 100
Cliff Swallow (Petrochelidon pyrrhonota) 15
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) 13
Chestnut-backed Chickadee (Poecile rufescens) 10
Bushtit (Pacific) (Psaltriparus minimus [minimus Group]) 5
Brown Creeper (Certhia americana) 2
Bewick's Wren (Thryomanes bewickii) 4
Golden-crowned Kinglet (Regulus satrapa) 11
Swainson's Thrush (Catharus ustulatus) 3
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 4
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) 60
Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum) 26
Common Yellowthroat (Geothlypis trichas) 10
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's) (Setophaga coronata auduboni) 1 male
Spotted Towhee (Pipilo maculatus) 1 heard
Savannah Sparrow (Passerculus sandwichensis) 2
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 4
Dark-eyed Junco (Oregon) (Junco hyemalis [oreganus Group]) 5
House Finch (Haemorhous mexicanus) 2
Purple Finch (Haemorhous purpureus) 4
Red Crossbill (Loxia curvirostra) 15 3 groups seen and heard
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) 24

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S19468899