[Tweeters] RE: Subject: Lesser Goldfinches

Scott scottratkinson at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 11 20:23:31 PDT 2014

Tweeters:

In my haste I also neglected to mention that while one might have thought of this LESSER GOLDFINCH was a first for Skagit County, Ryan in fact seems to have had the county's first last April near Marblemount, he also nailed a photo. This was my third bird in the w.WA lowlands (the others a late August bird at Graysmarsh, near Sequim, and another in early August at Spencer I).

I neglected to mention that on Fir Island yesterday, I also had a MERLIN at the hot spot mentioned, and another was in north
Marysville 8/7. These must have been birds that nested not too far away. For 'ol Gary, I managed exactly 100 species for the day but this included Rosario Strait coverage late, not just Fir I.

And mammals were also noteworthy. I had a very close view of a SHORT-TAILED WEASEL crossing Maupin Rd, and right on our drive at Tiny's Land on return, early nightfall--a PACIFIC JUMPING-MOUSE did a perfect kangaroo imitation. As local rodents go, this one is my favorite. They seem to be reasonably common in the bottomland mixed forest near 84th Street NE.

Scott Atkinson
Lake Stevens
mail to: scottratkinson at hotmail.com