[Tweeters] Westport Pelagic Trip, Aug. 10, 2014

Bruce LaBar blabar at harbornet.com
Mon Aug 11 14:56:56 PDT 2014

With a huge full moon, clear skies, little wind and views of Mt. Rainier in the distance our trip started out in ideal conditions. However, once pass the jetty, we encountered a thick fog for roughly 7 miles. The rest of the day was clear, sunny with some choppy waves. We had several birders on board who had never been on a pelagic and saw many new species. There were people from Germany, England and various states which made for a very fun trip.
The great number of mammals seen several weeks ago were few on this trip. Bird highlights included over 20 Black-footed Albatross, 6,000 Sooty and Pink-footed Shearwaters, 3 South Polar Skua sightings, 1 Short-tailed Shearwater that Bill Shelmerdine picked out of hundreds of shearwaters behind a shrimp boat and 2 (first of the year) Buller’s Shearwater. For complete species numbers and sightings for this past trip check our Facebook page and our website in a few days.

This is our busy time of the year for pelagics. There are trips scheduled almost every weekend from now to October. If interested in a great experience at sea, please visit our website for all information and reservations at www.westportseabirds.com.

Species list
Black-footed Albatross
Northern Fulmar
Pink-footed Shearwater
Buller’s Shearwater
Sooty Shearwater
Short-tailed Shearwater
Fork-tailed Storm-Petrel
Brandt’s Cormorant
Double-crested Cormorant
Pelagic Cormorant
Brown Pelican
Great Blue Heron
Wandering Tattler
Marbled Godwit
Black Turnstone
Red-necked Phalarope
Sabine’s Gull
Heermann’s Gull
Ring-billed Gull
Western Gull
California Gull
Glaucous-winged Gull
South Polar Skua
Pomarine Jaeger
Common Murre
Pigeon Guillemot
Rhinoceros Auklet
Mammal list
Harbor Porpoise
Dall’s Porpoise
California Sea-Lion
Harbor Seal
Elephant Seal
Also
Blue Shark, Sun Fish and thousands of Vella, “by the wind sailors”, jelly fish.

Leaders for this trip were, Bill Tweit, Bill Shelmerdine, Phil and Chris Anderson and myself.

Bruce LaBar
Tacoma, WA.