[Tweeters] Snowgrass Flats / Goat Ridge loop

Dave Hayden dtvhm at nwrain.com
Sun Aug 10 10:48:42 PDT 2014

On Saturday, Sherry and I spent over 10 hours hiking the 12.8 mile scenic loop trail on the west side of the Goat Rocks in Lewis County. Our route began on the Snowgrass Flats Trail. We had quite of few birds along the way up, plus 2 Pine Martens playing in the rocks. The best birds on this trail were in the subalpine areas, where we had ;
Vaux's Swift 1
Mountain Chickadee - 5
Chestnut-backed Chickadee
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Townsend's Warbler 1
Lincoln's Sparrow 1
Dark-eyed Junco
Cassin's Finch - 3
Pine Siskin

We then picked up the Lily Basin Trail. This 3.2 mile section of the trail skirts the basin just above the subalpine level. The meadows were filled with prime wildflowers, and has the most stunning scenery for the west side of the Goat Rocks. We had a few good birds along this section, which were;
Bald Eagle 1
Red-tailed Hawk 3
Western Wood-Pewee 1
Clark's Nutcracker 1
American Pipit 1
Pine Grosbeak 3
Red Crossbill 3

The final leg is the 4.7 mile Goat Ridge Trail back down to the parking lot. Additional birds seen were;
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1
Northern Flicker 1
American Kestrel 2
Olive-sided Flycatcher 1