[Tweeters] Silence of the Squirrels

Dennis Paulson dennispaulson at comcast.net
Sat Aug 9 13:03:28 PDT 2014

Jeff, you are obviously a friend of the squirrels who they realize means them no harm at all, even though you ate one once and then used it as a frisbee. But you were a Californian then--enough said.

Whenever I startle one in my yard, or occasionally when a cat has the nerve to pass through, or even on a few occasions when a Cooper’s Hawk has arrived, one or more of our Eastern Gray Squirrels lets out a string of very audible alarm calls, always accompanied by tail twitches.

I agree that they’re quieter than Douglas Squirrels and chipmunks and ground squirrels and marmots, all of which use their voices in more ways than just alarm calls.

Dennis Paulson
Seattle