[Tweeters] re: bird feeders pro and con

Dianna Moore dlmoor2 at coastaccess.com
Sat Aug 9 10:31:29 PDT 2014

More on the rope between trees suspending the feeders high off the ground:

My parents did just that with a pulley for lowering the rope/feeders to the
ground to refill, only to run into the (Eastern Gray) squirrels doing a
tightrope run to the dangling feeders (are you reading this Jeff?)...which
also included a couple of suet feeders...and so began the saga of trying to
outsmart the squirrels. This was a period of both frustration and hilarious
entertainment as the humans vs squirrels drama played outside the
dining-room window, with the rope often winding up until it reached a
tipping point then flinging the hapless animal off into space 20 or 30 feet.

I believe the final solution was two end-to-end 3lb coffee cans on each end
of the feeder area, with the plastic caps on the ends, a hole big enough
for the rope to pass through allowing the cans to rotate independently, and
dumping the squirrel if it landed on one, also two cans were too big to
jump over.

My parents were kind of sad it ended as it provided them with a lot of good
laughs. But the birds were the real winners.

Dianna Moore
Ocean Shores