[Tweeters] Tufted Puffins in Strait

Ingrid WHansen ingwilboat at aol.com
Thu Aug 7 10:04:05 PDT 2014

Sailing from Lopez Island’s Mackaye Harbor on August 1 we saw a beautiful pair of tufted puffins, one apparently a juvenile, about 100 yards offshore. Two days later, west southwest of Smith Island in the Straits of Juan de Fuca, among an enormous flock of auklets and murres, we saw two tufted puffins, even more striking in their plumes than the previous Lopez bird. Gliding by on a light breeze was perfect for observation. Ingrid W Hansen IngWilBoat at aol.com Burien, WA