[Tweeters] new bird list for new property... Things are pippin' over here!

Vicki Biltz vickibiltz at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 14:32:08 PDT 2014

We are now located on nearly 7 acres of land in the Buckley/Bonney Lake
countryside. This area ties into the Connells Prairie, with the PRINZ
BASIN, in walking distance. (long walk!) There are many, perhaps hundreds
of acres of forest tied in with this property we now call home

With three horses as my most reliable and friendly neighbors, of course
there are STARLINGS. But they have not found their way over to my home.
About 5 acres of our property is forested, with a few very nice super
sized Cedar trees. It slopes down to a marsh, with maybe a few yards
actually being unapproachable muck at this time.

O=OCCASIONAL
A=ABUNDANT
R=RARE
C=COMMON
M=MIGRANT

So far, we've had
EVENING GROSBEAKS...O
calling, morning and early afternoon, and flying over, altho not finding
the feeder yet.
they are recent
SWAINSONS THRUSH...A
AMERICAN ROBIN...A
WESTERN TANAGER,...A
CEDAR WAXWING...A
COOPERS HAWK...C
REDTAIL...C
TURKEY VULTURE...R
OSPREY...O
BALD EAGLE...C
BUSHTIT...C
BLACK HEADED GROSBEAK...A
OLIVE SIDED FLYCATCHER,...M
WESTERN WOOD PEE WEE...A
PACIFIC SLOPE FLYCATCHER...A
YELLOW WARBLER...C
AMERICAN GOLDFINCH...A
PURPLE FINCH (LOTS!!!)...A
CROSSBILLS...C
HOUSE SPARROW,...O
SONG SPARROW...A
MARSH WREN...C
BEWICKS WREN...C
PACIFIC WREN..C
FLICKER...C
BROWN CREEPER...C
PILEATED WOODPECKER...O
HAIRY WOODPECKER...O
DOWNY WOODPECKER...O
RED BREASTED SAPSUCKER...C
BLACK CAPPED CHICKADEE...A
CHESTNUT SIDED CHICKADEE...A
RED BREASTED NUTHATCH...A
BARRED OWL...O
WESTERN SCREECH OWL...O
RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD...C
ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD...C
TOWEE...A
SAVANNAH SPARROW...C
There might be a couple I cannot think of, and I've heard a few calls
unfamiliar to me. But they may be juveniles from breeders I am not familiar
with.

So, mornings here are an abundance of song, altho its died down a lot in
the recent weeks. Its nice to wake up to... I'm hoping for some great
wintering birds here.

MAMMALS...so far
Coyote
Elk
Deer
BATS!!! LOTS of them, I have no idea what kind.

I do know there are bears as well as cougars in this area on occasion.
And I did see a rat in the woods, but it was fast, so I don't know if it
was a wood rat or not...

No sign of Douglas Squirrels or flying yet, but no gray ones either....
I've not had much time to venture down the trail since it has grown over.
I'm severely allergic to sorrel, and there is an abundance of it, which is
really the only downside so far...

We were able to retrieve a lot of plants, and actually were able to leave
most of the wildlife habitat at the old house, which is already in escrow.
It was on the market just a few days. The new future owners are excited
to have wildlife habitat, and the pond, so its going into good hands with
the new owners...

Vicki Biltz
Somewhere off a private road in the middle of nowhere...
Buckley, WA
vickibiltz at gmail.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/saw-whets_new/