[Tweeters] Burroughs Mt. trail and Packwood;

Dave Hayden dtvhm at nwrain.com
Fri Aug 1 22:43:49 PDT 2014

Today, Sherry and I hiked the Burroughs Mt. Trail out of Sunrise, Mt. Rainier. It was warm and mostly sunny all day. We had a five minute sprinkle, the dark clouds moved through to the east, and we saw several lightning strikes. On the way in, we had a single SOOTY GROUSE next to the road. At the parking lot, we had MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRDS, CHIPPING SPARROWS, PINE SISKINS, CASSIN’S FINCHES, GRAY JAYS, and CLARK’S NUTCRACKERS. On the trail above Sunrise, several RED CROSSBILLS flew over. At Frozen Lake there were AMERICAN PIPITS and one RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD. On top of Burroughs Mt., we did not find the needle (aka Ptarmigan), but we saw a PRAIRIE FALCON fly by and lots of HORNED LARKS. We did see a large herd of Mt. Goats, but they were over in the Summerland area. On our way out, we stopped at Sunrise Point. We found another single Mt. Goat, and had a fly by SHARP-SHINNED HAWK.
We left the park and headed for Packwood. After dinner at Cruisers, we passed through a large herd of ELk and went over to the cemetery. We had over 50 VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS, a few BARN SWALLOWS, 1 VAUX’S SWIFT, 3 EVENING GROSBEAKS, and 2 COMMON NIGHTHAWKS.

Dave Hayden
dtvhm AT nwrain.com
Centralia, WA