[Tweeters] Centralia Purple Martins

Russ Koppendrayer russkope at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 20:13:03 PDT 2014

Hi Tweeters,

I followed up on Henry Wegener's July 29 post this afternoon. Where the
logging road ends at a landing I found at least 8 PURPLE MARTINS in the
vicinity of a few snags below me. I was able to follow an abandoned logging
road or cat track to get closer. From here I observed adults shoving food
into a cavity a couple times. The number 8 is the most I observed
simultaneously, but it is very likely there were more present as birds were
regularly coming into and out of sight. In the 10 minutes I was there (an
ill-advised climb without water) I only witnessed the one cavity in use,
but there were many other possibilities in the immediate area. Thanks to
Henry and Leah for the post and prompt spot on directions in response to my
request. Nice find Henry! Good to know these birds can still use natural
nesting sites.

About 0.75 mile up there was a CALIFORNIA QUAIL in the road a species that
had eluded me in Lewis Co. until today - nice bonus.

Russ Koppendrayer
Longview, WA