[Tweeters] SNOWY EGRET McNary NWR Penninsula HMU

Mike & MerryLynn m.denny at charter.net
Mon Apr 28 13:45:58 PDT 2014

Hello allfrom MerryLynn,

At 10:45 this morning I was scoping the Columbia River looking out
toward Foundation Island where over 200 pair of Double-crested
Cormorants are nesting when I saw three egrets flying toward me - from
my right - when they were within 75 ft and going by I realized the
middle bird was smaller and had a thin black bill and yellow feet - a
SNOWY!!

The last Snowy Egret in Walla Walla County was found on May 20, 2007 at
the Millet pond on N. Shore Rd where it stayed for a few days. This is
the 4th or 5th record for the county.

Access to Penninsula HMU is from Hansen Loop Rd which you can take east
or west of Burbank to the south. The egrets flew to the southeast and
out of sight - the unit is closed to motor vehicles now so I couldn't
drive in and look for them. But this bird could show up at 2Rivers HMU
which is across from Dodd rd. or at the Millet pond or at McNary HQ.

Later, ML (Mike is at work)