[Tweeters] Gog-le-hi-te strange Pigeon

Rob Conway robin_birder at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 27 00:44:38 PDT 2014

Michael and Dan,

There are an estimated 250K pigeon keepers in the Americas. They keep racing pigeons, utility pigeons, local homers, fancy pigeons, and just pigeons to watch and care for. Michaels photo is of a racing pigeon with a brick red coloration (not unusual) that was either lost, resting, or gone AWOL for a nice place to live or a nice lady or man pigeon that caught its eye. Pigeons mate for life and the bond is strong - once a potential mate is found it is pursued heavily until love takes over. I had a flock of utility pigeons when I was a kid and they'd bring in racers on a regular basis. These pigeons can often be identified by leg bands that include things like location and club information, an individual ID, and demographics. Often times races don't want them back as they have a propensity of flying back to the new coop and girl/boyfriend and lose their racing value. Pigeon races can be over 1000 miles long and pay out over $1,000,000.

The white pigeon spotted by Dan is probably in the same situation, but the large breeds of pigeons bred for meat are mostly solid white. Missed the squab processor to become a big pretty bird?

Pigeon forms are many with specialty flyers (rollers, tumblers, tipplers, high flyers, divers), special feathers (curly, patterns, leg feathers), and behaviors (pouters, Jacobins, fantails, parlor rollers, and pigmys).

Most likely race resters, runaways, or passion seekers who my return to their path, or find a new life in a new place that they found by chance.
Rob (former fancier)

Rob Conway
Camas, WA
45.58°N 122.44°W - elevation 310 ft.