[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR - Canvasback and Vaux's Swifts

johntubbs at comcast.net johntubbs at comcast.net
Sat Apr 26 16:09:54 PDT 2014

Hi everyone,

I spent a couple hours walking Nisqually NWR this morning and the birds cooperated nicely on a beautiful, if initially crisp, morning.  Most everything seen fell in the usual suspects category, but I had two somewhat notable sightings.  There were a couple of Vaux's Swifts mixed in with the swallow throngs working the area around the twin barns.  Later, about a third of the way down the boardwalk, I had a Canvasback - possibly the same bird noted in the Wednesday morning group walk recently...?  This species is listed as an 'accidental' species on the official Nisqually bird checklist.  A photo of the bird can be seen at -
http://www.johntubbsphoto.com/-/johntubbsphoto/detail.asp?LID=&photoID=14459844&cat=38974 .

As has been the case recently, Yellow-rumped Warblers were dripping from the trees, to the point where they discouraged looking for other species because after awhile you just assumed the warbler flitting in the tree or brush had to be a YRWA.  And, except for quite common Common Yellowthroats in full voice, that was the only warbler species I found this morning.

John Tubbs

Lacey, WA

johntubbs at comcast.net