[Tweeters] Merlin at UPS?

Jennifer DeSelle jendeselle at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 22 19:10:13 PDT 2014

Hello all!

My husband reports a possible merlin at the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma.  This raptor has been seen near the library on campus, often flying and being harassed by crows.  It is very vocal and "sounds like a merlin".  My husband says it looks like a falcon (originally he thought it was a kestrel), but is not a peregrine. This raptor has been observed over the past few days.  Has anybody else seen this bird?  Thoughts on probability?  Apparently a biology prof on campus has identified it as a merlin.

--Jen