[Tweeters] From the Fill

Connie Sidles constancesidles at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 05:55:17 PDT 2014

Hey tweets, Some days out in the field are so perfect, you never want them to end. The light, the birds, the greenness, the *life* are all so compelling you feel transported out of the everyday hustle and hassle of ordinary life into the timelessness of Eden. Yesterday was such a day at the Fill.

It started with a sighting of a now-rare AMERICAN BITTERN at Conibear, who decided it didn’t like to be looked at by me, gave a kind of squawk, and flew off majestically toward Foster Island. Another bird that wasn’t too keen about being looked at was a PILEATED WOODPECKER at the north end of Sidles Swamp (name is not my fault), who objected vocally as it flew deeper into the trees and disappeared, leaving behind only its voice, which kept objecting for about 15 more minutes. Also on view, hundreds of Yellow-rumped Warblers, both Myrtle and Audubon’s, and numerous Common Yellowthroats. I think they’re going to have a very good year, along with the ever-exploding population of Marsh Wrens. In University Slough was the year’s first crop of ducklings skittering across the water like yellow puffballs while the Mallard mom looked on.

Here is a poem for you today:

Shy bittern, cryptic in the marsh,
tell me your secrets.
The bittern raises its bill,