[Tweeters] Marbled Murrelets & Osprey @ West Point Lighthouse

Michael Fleming michaelfleming01 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 13:46:05 PDT 2014

This morning I birded both the north and south beach areas near the
West Point Lighthouse at Discovery Park and the birding was good.
Last week Jordan Gunn mentioned to me that he had seen a pair of
MARBLED MURRELETS along the south beach so I kept my eye pealed for
them.
I started out quite early spending some time at the point near the
Lighthouse and had 4 alcid species including RHINOCEROS AUKLETS, a few
COMMON MURRES, a single PIGEON GUILLEMOT, and then a pair of MARBLED
MURRELETS in breeding plumage foraging right off the end of the point.
There were 5 WESTERN GREBES along the south shoreline and several
RED-NECKED and HORNED GREBES in breeding plumage still lingering in
the area.
The breeding plumage PELAGIC CORMORANT was still hanging around the
north shoreline and an OSPREY was working the waters off both
shorelines. A COMMON LOON in breeding plumage as well as a few
BONAPARTE'S GULLS were noted in the area.
Around the visitor's center both ORANGE-CROWNED and YELLOW-RUMPED
WARBLERS (Audubon's) were seen and also CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEES
going in and out of a nest hole in a small snag and a BUSHTIT nest in
a nearby Douglas Fir tree.
I expected the day to be somewhat rainy but was pleasantly
surprised by the great weather. Birding in the very early morning was
good although the winds picked up a bit later on at West Point.

Cheers and Good Birding;

Michael Fleming
Ballard, Washington
michaelfleming01 AT gmail.com