[Tweeters] American Bitterns @ Stillwater WMA

Michael Fleming michaelfleming01 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 08:21:28 PDT 2014

Yesterday I drove over to the Stillwater WMA near Carnation to do
some birding and happened to run into Grace & Ollie Oliver. The three
of us spent the morning until about 1:00 pm casually birding the area.
Undoubtedly the highlight of the trip was a pair of mating AMERICAN
BITTERNS with the male putting on a very fine display. We also
observed a RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER busy excavating a nest hole and some
BUSHTITS attending a nest right next to the trail. Very nice looks at
a pair of PURPLE FINCH were also obtained.
COMMON YELLOWTHROAT and YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS were the only
warbler species that we had. I ended up with a total of 37 species
and a nice outing with friends.

Cheers and Good Birding;

Michael Fleming
Ballard, Washington