[Tweeters] Paid in Crowns

Jeff Gibson gibsondesign at msn.com
Fri Apr 11 16:39:51 PDT 2014

This morning I washed out the ol' birdbath at my parents yard in Port Townsend which was dirty and low on water. Clean and full of fresh water, the birds soon showed up.

The first payoff of my morning work was in the currency of crowns. First was an Orange-crowned Warbler which gave me the best, and most leisurely, view I've had of the orange crown in decades as the warbler took its bath in the morning sun!

The next payment came in gold currency as a bright Golden-crowned Sparrow in breeding plumage took a bath.

But where there's currency being exchanged , the hoods soon show up: in this mornings case several Dark-eyed Junco's.

The neighborhood here right now is awash in Orange-crowns. A few days ago I thought the winter feeder birds , Fox Sparrows and Golden- crowns were gone, but now are around again. I've been hearing the Golden-crowns singing in early morning - very nice since I haven't heard that song in a long time! And the general dawn chorus here in Port Townsend is much fuller than what I call the 'yawn chorus' in my more urban Everett yard.

Jeff Gibson

reporting from

Port Townsend Wa