Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Apr 10 12:58:37 PDT 2014

Well, Marymoor is no Nisqually, but we did try our best to match the dazzling numbers from their walk yesterday. Alas, we managed “only” something like 27 or 28 people, instead of their 60. And we missed their species total by four, but still...

It was a gorgeous, slightly nippy, spring morning on what has, historically, been one of the best weeks of the year. The day lived up to its billing.

Highlights:

CINNAMON TEAL Male at weir – First of Spring (FOS)
Green-winged Teal Pair, with Cinnamon Teal
Ring-necked Duck Pair in slough near windmill
Common Goldeneye Down to just a single female
Northern Harrier High flyover – FOS
GREATER YELLOWLEGS One again in great muddy puddle, Lot B
Band-tailed Pigeon A few glimpses
BARN OWL Matt had 3, predawn, incl. 2 near windmill
Merlin Sharon saw one at about 6:30 am
Barn Swallow One over lake
Bushtit Several pairs, first nest building
Hermit Thrush One in riparian area east of slough
American Robin Two occupied nests found
AMERICAN PIPIT One flew off from fields 7-8-9 – FOS
Or.-crowned Warbler Two seen
Common Yellowthroat Heard lots, saw 2
Y.-rumped Warbler Dozens, with loads of singing
Townsend’s Warbler Two, not together, near mansion
CHIPPING SPARROW At least 1 still near Viewing Mound
Lincoln’s Sparrow One, part of the spring migratory pulse

Misses for the day included Wood Duck and Fox Sparrow. We didn’t really miss anything else of the expected species.

For the day, we managed 69 species (which includes “black wing-tipped gull” and “accipiter sp.”)

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com