[Tweeters] Belated report--KUMLIEN'S ICELAND GULL+ Skagit County April 6

Scott scottratkinson at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 9 21:10:28 PDT 2014

Tweeters:

This has truly been my first chance to report on last Sunday's birds up in Skagit County. Part of the reason--it took some time to upload onto flickr four shots I took of a 1st winter KUMLIEN'S ICELAND GULL that was along Best Rd., just opposite one of the prominent daffodil/flower viewing sites. You be the judge: https://www.flickr.com/photos/14115261@N05/ The highway was busy and I was squatting somewhat, so what is there is all I managed. This bird was shorter and much slimmer than the nearby Glaucous-w. and GW x Westerns, but unfortunately I was unable to capture a side-by-side shot. The bird flew away in short order, at which time the very long wings and translucent primaries were the salient observable field marks. This one is just the county's second after the Steve Mlodinow bird along Rt 11 (Chuckanut) in the Bayview vicinity many moons ago, but feel free to comment if you have any differing opinion, after all that is what flickr is for, right? By my reckoning, this bird is a bit paler overall than the Chuckanut bird was. That said, there was a bit of brown flecking/markings on the belly. Other highlights for the day included one breeding-plumaged EARED GREBE off March Pt. in close proximity to the tanker dock; there were about 25 HORNED GREBES in the area as well. Much more exciting, I enjoyed far-off but diagnostic views of an intermediate-morph SWAINSON'S HAWK soaring above several BALD EAGLES and two RED-TAILED HAWKS at the highest point on N. Texas Rd (appropriately enough), but was unable to obtain a photo. A COM. YELLOWTHROAT had arrived on schedule at the Hayden Preserve, while YR (Audobon's) WARBLERS were widespread, I obtained some decent photos at Milltown of the latter: https://www.flickr.com/photos/14115261@N05/ Other photos here just added include very close views of a RUFFED GROUSE, a female MERLIN, a PEREGRINE, and a nice pair of WOOD DUCKS along Dodge Valley Rd. Scott AtkinsonLake Stevensmail to: scottratkinson at hotmail.com