[Tweeters] Monroe Prison Farm Pond FYI

Josh Adams xjoshx at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 16:12:37 PDT 2014

Hello Tweets,
I've been meaning to write this for a while, but keep forgetting. For those
of you who may find yourself birding the ponds near the old Monroe Prison
Farm (GPS Location: 47.814988,-121.985692) should be aware that the hunting
club that owns this pond has apparently decided to leave their decoys in
the water all year. They are pretty obviously decoys when viewed through a
scope, but a quick scan with binoculars wouldn't necessarily make this
clear. Decoy species include, but are not limited to, Canvasback, Northern
Pintail, and if I recall correctly Redhead along with Mallards (which are
also present in living form).

Also be aware to stay inside the small parking slab to avoid disturbing the
species that breed in this location.

The farm ponds were hopping this morning. I had 33 species heard or seen
from the parking slab including three Barn Swallows and a Northern
Rough-Winged Swallow, both FOY for Snohomish County. A group of five
Trumpeter Swans has stuck around late enough to remind me that a Trumpeter
summered here last year. The big surprise was a bird that was still absent.
I wasn't able to find any Common Yellowthroat in the area yet. I eventually
found a few in a field out near Sultan. There was at least one Greater
Yellowlegs calling from some invisible place near the pond and a couple
more up off Tualco Loop Rd. I saw ten shorebird species in this general
area last year and it will be worth checking every puddle you can find in a
week or two.

Full checklist from this morning here:

Josh Adams
Lynnwood, WA