Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Mon Apr 7 12:49:24 PDT 2014

Tweets – having missed last Thursday’s walk, I was couldn’t help but go birding at Marymoor this morning. It was a gorgeous day – almost too hot, and too sunny after some early morning clouds burned off. LOTS of singing, but the resident birds must be pretty busy with nesting activities, since actually *seeing* birds was somewhat difficult.

Highlights:

Great Blue Heron Cooing sounds at the heronry again
Osprey One on the nest
Bald Eagle One on the nest
Red-tailed Hawk On on odd-snag nest site
Virginia Rail Heard from boardwalk
GREATER YELLOWLEGS In mud hole in Cowboy Lot/Lot B – FOY
Mew Gull One juvenile with Glaucous-winged Gulls
Red-breasted Sapsucker Many, calling, drumming, excavating?
Pileated Woodpecker 1-2 south of mansion
BARN SWALLOW 1, East Meadow
Red-breasted Nuthatch Nest hole near park office
OR.-CROWNED WARBLER Heard singing across river, just above weir
Lincoln’s Sparrow One along slough trail, 2nd dog beach
W. MEADOWLARK One doing “Chup” call east of Viewing Mound

I ran into George Pagos, who sent me over to look at the GREATER YELLOWLEGS. I believe he said he had two; there was only one there by the time I got there, along with four KILLDEER. The mud hole is a large puddle-mess in the grass & gravel parking lot just north of the grass soccer fields. Cavalia is moving out, with all of their trucks etc., right now, making things even more of a mess. This is only our 9th or 10th sighting of Greater Yellowlegs at Marymoor.

For the day, I had 58 species in four hours, with two new for the year (Orange-crowned Warbler and Greater Yellowlegs), to bring our 2014 total to 100 species.