[Tweeters] Gutless Wonders

Jeff Gibson gibsondesign at msn.com
Fri Apr 4 07:39:57 PDT 2014

As is often the case after saying something in a post, I would like to make a clarification.

In my last post I ended with that old line "no guts, no glory". And after a few minutes of deep thinking, I said to myself "I guess that sounds kind of like a big put-down of the gutless! Sounds kind of 'Rambo', or something somebody drowning in their own testosterone might say.
What I meant was to extol the glories of the gutted, which is all of the Animal Kingdom, except sponges. I forgot that sponges even are animals. Hey, I'm no Rambo - more of a sensitive fern-feeler, tree-hugging, birdwatcher type. So I just wanted to get straight with the gutless.
There are many glories among the gutless. For one thing, what's the big deal with a gut if nothing is in it. Hey folks, did you eat your glorious vegetables today? Plants are gutless. Also your own gut is full of the gutless; micro flora numbering up to 100 trillion ( about ten times the number of your own body cells), mostly bacteria, which do all sorts of nice things for you. Supposedly up to 60 percent of the dry volume of feces is composed of bacteria, so the next time you have a satisfying bowel movement you can thank those gutless wonders. Glory!
Moving right along, how about those plants. While vascular plants don't have guts, they do have indoor plumbing! Along with the lilies of the field, there are giant trees, fields of grass waving in the breeze and also many other gutless wonders. Glory!
And last but not least is our wonderful Mother Earth. Now Earth doesn't exactly have a gut, but if you think she's just the third rock from the Sun, you might take a closer look, because the Earth is alive! All sort of movin' and shakin' going on. Way down deep, below the Earth's crust where we live, the molten mantle digests the crust when it dives down into a subduction zone where continental plates collide, and this recycled, or digested, crust will come up somewhere else maybe as new rock in rift zones where the plates keep growing. Sometimes there are bits of indigestion- you know, like the Cascade volcanoes. What would our current biodiversity be like without all that continental drift and other earth wonders?
Just sayin'
Jeff GibsonWhateverett Wa