[Tweeters] From the Fill

Connie Sidles constancesidles at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 03:46:58 PDT 2014

Hey tweets, yesterday saw the arrival of the first Cinnamon Teal of the year, floating serenely on Southwest Pond. He must have flown here in the night, along with the blustery wind, I hope the last raw gust of winter. Spring has arrived, according to the calendar and the plants that push inexorably up from the still-cold ground, but if spring is here, why am I still wearing three layers of clothes?

The Ruby-crowned Kinglets have all apparently left for the North in one fell swoop - they were singing one day and gone the next. The Golden-crowned Sparrows are still hanging around, singing their lonely songs soon to be heard in Alaska. The American Goldfinches have grown feistier than usual - for some odd reason, the mustard-colored ones seem to be more aggressive than the molted-into-gold ones. Bushtits have paired off and follow each other around, I suppose seeking the best places to weave their nests. It looks like it’s going to be a great year for them. The main snag on SW Pond that has been so popular amongst the Tree Swallows cracked off this winter, leaving only one nest hole. This has forced the swallows to look elsewhere for holes, which they have found in abundance at the west end of Sidles Swamp (name is not my fault), where Downy Woodpeckers have nested for the past three years. The liquid calls of the swallows fill the sky above the snags and flow out in all directions, so that I feel encapsuled by song whenever I walk past.

Here is a poem for you today:

In spring a Cinnamon Teal
floats by, feathers glowing
like embers about to burst into flame,