[Tweeters] Dying Barn Swallows Question

Sherry Hagen littlebirder at pacifier.com
Mon Sep 30 18:08:32 PDT 2013

I received a call from a lady in Ridgefield, WA today that lives near Green Lake and a swampy area. She’s had about 20 Barn Swallows sitting on the wire lines recently and thought it was a bit late for them this time of year thinking they should be gone.

This morning she found 10 Barn Swallows dead on the ground. Actually one was still alive but soon died. She called me wondering why. I could only guess that they might be migrating and with the heavy rains we’ve had the past few days they are starving and too weak to continue in the continuing heavy rains with little to eat OR the heavy rains along without eating have push them down (about the same thing).

Does anyone have any more intelligent scientific explanation as to what might have happened.

Sherry Hagen
Vancouver, WA
littlebirder at comcast.net